Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Big Hollow and Peace.

I just returned from a long walk down into the big hollow and back. I walked to the pond as usual, but the day is so beautiful I decided to go a little farther  (further too). These first photos are from around the pond.






The area around the pond is like a grown over wilderness. Last winter and early spring I did a lot of clearing and cleaning, but it has grown right back up through the summer. I kind of like the wilderness look better anyway. It is habitat for all sorts of animals, birds insects and so on. I think that's what I'll start telling people when I let the yard grow up. I'm creating and preserving habitat for wild critters.

Speaking of wild critters. This is what we used to call a Waterdog. Spring lizard, waterdog or what ever it's just a salamander. Unless, it's a dragon trying to fool me. It was hiding under a rock, but I found it.




This is a rock out crop from the bottom side. It's been here as long as I can remember.  You can see how the rock is layered in the next photo and the ceiling in the one after that.









Above is a stalk of ginseng that I came across.



This is in the bed of the hollow. Sometimes these overhangs have passageways back into larger chambers.
The mountains around here have many caves that cavers come from all over to explore.



This is the same place from farther away.



This is another  overhang with water running out.



This view is looking down the big hollow(south) from where the cave with water is located.



                                       This is taken from the same spot but looking north (up the big hollow).

This is looking down at the stream in the bed of the hollow. If you follow it south, it turns into a raging torrent at times. I can sit on the front porch and hear the water running after heavy rains.
Down in the big hollow has to be one of the most peaceful places on earth. I spent many hours here as a youngster. I'm sure glad I can still wander around down there. Wonder around too.
Now I need to go create something. Well, not create so much as assemble what has already been created and discarded.

Later

No comments: