Thursday, August 18, 2011

Turtle


About a week ago I was walking in the woods near the house and spotted this box turtle. What was unusual was that I walked right up to it and it kept his head stretched out. Most times they will withdraw their head and feet into their shell if something gets too close. I took several photos and noticed both of his eyes appear to be closed. When I looked at the photos closer, I believe he is blind. I wondered if he would survive long. I did some research and found that they can live for 100 plus years under ideal conditions and will eat many different things including plants, mushrooms, and also meat, bugs, animals, whatever.

This is one of the photos I took on August 8th, 2011.

Today, I was walking and ran into the turtle again. He was about 150 feet or so from where I saw him the first time.


There is a partially eaten mushroom to the right in the photo. Maybe I interrupted his lunch. Who knows? Taken 18 August 2011.
That's all
Later

No comments: